Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2011 00:37:43 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, user.vdr@gmail.com, hselasky@FreeBSD.org, "Ildar D. Belkin" <i.belkin@priceufo.ru>
Subject:   lirc port update for testing - now also for mceusb via webcamd svn

Hi!

 After testing a webcamd patch for dvb tuner remote's /dev/lirc0
support, making a port update for comms/lirc (more details in this
post:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-February/011625.html

), and adding (among others) usb ftdi remote support to the lirc
port update (untested, or at least I haven't heard back from people
wanting to test it yet, see

	http://www.huitsing.nl/irftdi/

) I discovered webcamd svn already builds the Linux mceusb driver
too so I then tested that also.  After reporting a bug for which
Hans meanwhile committed a fix mode2 got data, just irrecord didn't
quite want to work yet, it kept saying `Sorry, something went wrong.'

 Well, now I have a workaround for that problem too (irrecord expected
a leading space while at least this mceusb device started reporting
with the first pulse), see files/patch-daemons::hw_default.c in the
patched lirc port:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/lirc/lirc-0.9.0p1_2.patch

 To test webcamd svn build it like described on Hans' page,

	http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/video4bsd/

but apply my patch,

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/webcamd/patch-remote2-rc5.txt

before starting the make.  If you want to test an mceusb ir device
you may need to pass its bus.addr to the newly built webcamd
explicitly:

	webcamd -d 4.2

 If you then get a /dev/lircX device you can pass it with -d to mode2
built from the updated lirc port:

	mode2 -d /dev/lirc0

and check if it reports pulses and spaces when triggering a remote
at the receiver.  If it does you can see if there's a config for
you remote at the lirc archive (this is for mceusb etc, the
emulated rc5 I patched into webcamd for dvb tuner remotes won't be
on there:)

	http://lirc.sf.net/remotes/

 If not you can try generating one using irrecord:

	irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 lircd-test.conf

and following the messages it prints, if that worked copy the file
to /usr/local/etc/lircd.conf, start lircd:

	service lircd onestart

and run

	irw

in a shell and check if it correctly reports buttons pressed on your
remote.  When that works you can start vdr (or whatever you use)
pointed at lirc and assign the buttons on the remote.

 The (updated) Call for testing posting for vdr is here:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-February/011628.html

and more links are here:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/dvb/

 Enjoy, :)