Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:16:09 -0800
From:      ee@burst.lever.com (Edward Elhauge)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 1542

Hi FreeBSD Gurus,
	I've been running FreeBSD since last summer as part of my ISP business
with little or no problem. Recently though I did a hardware upgrade that
seems to be causing me problems.

	One of the machines I have was a 486 running on 8MB of memory. It was a
bit slow but ran without a hitch. I bought a new Mitec motherboard with an
Intel 100MHz Pentium CPU and 128MB of memory, installed it in an old cardcage
I had and moved the video, ethernet and Adaptec 1542 from the 486 into the new
system. These systems are SCSI only with all the disks external, so I just
plugged the SCSI cables into the same board they had been plugged into and
turned on power.

	The system booted fine, including reading the kernel but would hang
about when fsck would normally run (after detecting npx0. The error reported
was a timeout on ah0 (the Adaptec). I twidled with the CMOS setup and
disabled a bunch of optimizations and now the system often will boot all the
way to the login prompt. But I still get intermittent problems with the ah0.

	Sometimes it will hang after fsck or sometimes it will timeout after
running for a couple of hours. I get the following error messages:

	sd0(aha0:0:0):timed out
	adaptor not taking commands.
	Debugger("aha1542") called. frozen?!

So my questions are:
	1) Is there something I can do in the kernel to fix this problem?

	2) Is there someghing inherently wrong with Mitac motherboards?

	3) Is there another brand or model of SCSI adapter that is more reliable
	in a FreeBSD environment?
--
root@lever.com