Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:16:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> To give you the short version this time: I'm interested in playing
> with the 3DFX voodoo chipset and buying an add-on board for this (I'd
> like to keep my Millenium, so I don't want a complete replacement VGA
> card).  I've looked around and the major players seem to be Diamond,
> with the Monster3D, Orchid with the Righteous 3D and Canopus with the
> Pure3D card.  Of the 3, the Canopus product seems the most advanced,
> with 4MB of texture memory vs the 2MB of the other cards (frame buffer
> is still 2MB).  It's also fairly cheap at $179 street price, and
> definitely seems to be the one to get if you can find one - Canopus
> claims back-orders all through January so far.

The Canopus is the fastest of the 3 according to Tom's Hardware as well.

> Then there's the Voodoo2 chipset which 3DFX claims is 3X faster than
> the Voodoo Rush, but I don't see any mfrs actually doing boards based
> on them.  Any pointers?

Last I heard, the voodoo2 was still not due out for another month or so,
but it looks like it should be scary fast.

> Finally, anyone working on FreeBSD drivers for this so we can play
> with Mesa and rendering things at high speed? :-)

You're a little behind, amancio's been playing glquake for months :)

--
Jamie Bowden
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)