Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:55:52 -0500
From:      Chris BeHanna <cbehanna@panasas.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting kern.ngroups

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 15:46, Brian Szymanski wrote:

> >> place; even if you find them all and rebuild the world (yes, libc
> >> depends on it as well) you'll find that any program that looks at
> >> the group vector will blow up because it only has space reserved for
> >> 16 groups.  You don't want to go there.
> >>
> >> Aren't these programs broken by not using NGROUPS_MAX from
> >> syslimits.h?
> >
> > My point is that changing syslimits.h doesn't help existing compiled
> > code at all; you need to recompile everything that touches the group
> > vector, which may be more code than you expect.  (Arguably they should
> > use a runtime method of sizing the group vector but I've seen very few
> > programs that do.)
>
> Ahhh, no problem. Fortunately we have source for all the code we are
> running on the machine...
>
> Which brings up another question. Does anyone know of a good way to
> rebuild all ports, without dealing with dependency hell?

    Stupi^H^H^H^H^HBrave souls can do so via:

    cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
    make install clean
    # edit /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to taste
    portsdb -uU
    pkgdb -uF
    portupgrade -af
    #
    # wait a very long time if you have X + KDE or X + GNOME installed
    # otherwise, wait a merely long time

That will rebuild *everything*.  It gives me the shudders, though,
because there are inevitably going to be broken ports.  It's a good
idea to save the old packages portupgrade makes for awhile, so that
you can back out a broken port to the previous known working version
(when that is possible).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)