Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:55:08 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: randomdev entropy gathering is really weak

Dan Moschuk wrote:

> | > What about saving the state of the RNG and re-reading it on bootup?  That
> | > will allow Yarrow to continue right where it left off. :-)
> |
> | That's a bad thing. You don't want someone to be able to examine the exact
> | PRNG state at next boot by looking at your hard disk after the machine has
> | shut down.
>
> I don't see how.  If the attacker has physical access to the machine, there
> are plenty worse things to be done than just reading the state of a PRNG.
>
> If the random device is initialized in single user mode, and the file is
> then unlink()ed, I don't see any problems with that.

You generate a new PGP keypair and start using it. Your
co-worker reboots your machine afterwards and recovers
the PRNG state that happens to be stashed on disk. He
can then backtrack and potentially recover the exact same
random numbers that you used for your key.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)