Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:39:12 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an and wi ad-hoc talking

In message <200111110343.fAB3hKE33446@whizzo.transsys.com> "Louis A. Mamakos" writes:
: > At sunrise/sunset we have intersting effects on link quality.  We get
: > the best signal at night (when it isn't frosting) and during the
: > hottest part of the day.
:
: Are your antennas pointed east and west?  The Sun produces measurable
: noise, and in fact, is used by some to tune-up receive preamplifiers,
: measure antenna gain patterns, etc.  If you're pointed near where the
: sun rises and sets at the horizon, you're probably seeing this.

Well, They are pointed north and south (+- 10 degrees).  The reason
for morning and evening effects are that they span two rivers, which
tend to have fog rising off of them in the morning...  Not sure about
the evening effects (it is smaller).  The evening effect could also be
placibo.  I'll have to start up data collection again now that we have
the new radios installed (the old ones were the pre 802.11b wavelan
ISA cards).

But it might be something else...

: Also, ensure that your parabolic reflectors are painted a flat,
: non-glossy color.  Note that the optical focus will be coindicident
: with the the RF, and your antenna feed might get toasted.  If you're
: getting sun noise, then you're probably getting sun light, too.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that's the problem.  They are in good sun light,
but I'd expect there would be more of a problem around noon then for
our south facing one.  And it is pointed flat (well, +- 2 degrees) so
given that the sun is at about 60 degrees, iirc, at that time.

Warner