Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:53:19 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/10099: Building the Web site without a local CVS repository

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 09:08:52PM +0200, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> > You would unset it by not defining it in the firstplace.  I don't think
> > www/Makefile should contain something like
> >
> >     NOCVS=no
>
> Not in www/Makefile, but it can be set in www/Makefile.inc or
> www/Makefile.inc.local (not implemente yet)
>
> Now there is no way on the commandline to unset the
> variable because make has no -U option.

Right.  But you don't need to unset it, because it defaults to unset.

Right now,

    % cd www
    % make links
    % cd en
    % make -DENGLISH_ONLY

works as it always has done (you could write "make ENGLISH_ONLY=yes" if
you wanted, but it doesn't matter).

If you want the new functionality you either have to edit Makefile
or Makefile.inc to define NOPORTSCVS, or do

    % make -DENGLISH_ONLY -DNOPORTSCVS

or

    % make ENGLISH_ONLY=yes NOPORTSCVS=yes

This is the same way the NOCLEANDEPENDS variable is handled in bsd.port.mk,
for example.

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole