Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:56:08 -0600
From:      The Presence <tpresence@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Freebsd 6.2 and booting from iSCSI

I recently deployed a NetAPP S300 device, and I want to be able to load sys=
tem OS from it.

I have several HP DL380 G3 systems that I want to be able to boot from iSCS=
I, but I am not sure how to proceed.  NetAPP states that the adapters I wou=
ld want to do this are the QLA405x and QLA406x lines.  Since the HP DL380 G=
3s use PCI-X I need the QLA-4050 or the QLA-4052 adapters.  Unfortunately, =
QLogic states that they only support Windows, RHEL, and SuSE.

Firstly, has anyone had any luck booting from any system with FreeBSD.  My =
main drivers here are:

1) I can do a bare-metal restore very simply.
2) I can easily change base system by just changing the TOE parameters in B=
IOS.
3) I can have multiple systems have access to the same data without having =
to have multiple copies of the data, but do this in block mode instead of f=
ile mode.

Secondly, has anyone actually had this work with the HP DL380 G3?  If so wh=
at HBA did you use to do it?  Since the QLogic network cards start at aroun=
d $800 or so, I don't want to make this a trial and error effort, if its av=
oidable.

Kevin

Boo!=A0Scare away worms, viruses and so much more! Try Windows Live OneCare=
!
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/purchase/trial.aspx?s_cid=3Dwl_hotma=
ilnews=