Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:30:52 -0800
From:      "Scott Hess" <scott@avantgo.com>
To:        "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>, "Erik Wenzel" <erik@todo.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: why is cp so slow?

If your confident that you can either recreate the target filesystem (newfs
and re-copy), or that your on a UPS and will have _zero_ power issues or
other crashes during the copy, I'll sometimes remount the filesystem async,
which is probably possible under 2.2.7.  /sbin/mount -u -o rw,async
/dev/??? /mnt/pnt.

Then after you're done, remount it again without async.

Later,
scott