Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:54:33 +0200
From:      "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing question

Matt Smith wrote:
> Hello all,
>      I have a situation where I have my FreeBSD box that I want to run 2
> Unreal IRCD's on both using port 6667.  I've set up virtual IP
> addressing and one IRCD will run on 192.168.1.5:6667 and the other one
> will run on 192.168.1.7:6667.  my problem is how would I go about
> routing the traffic into the machine so both the IRCD's can be used by
> different people using just a linksys router (I don't think it's
> possible, but I thought I bounce it off you guys.

Only if there on your own private subnet, otherwise you must have
multiple public IP addresses and (nat)forward them to the private ones
accordingly.
If you have only 1 public IP adress you could use multiple ports on the
public IP and mapped them back to the right IP & ports, say (public
IP):6667 -> 192.168.1.7:6667 and (public IP):6668 -> 192.168.1.7:6667
however with this option you could have saved your hassle to create a
alias and just used the 6668 port for your other daemon on 192.168.1.5

--
mph