Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:25:01 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount drives and fstab

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 08:04:23PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 09:33:50PM -0800, Chip wrote:
>
> > I tried to add 'auto' into my fstab for my floppy entry so it would
> > automatically detect ufs or msdos filesystems, but that apparently is
> > not supported.
>
> There is *no* 'auto' option, as far as I can tell from fstab(5) manpage.
> Try creating different mount points.  For instance I use:

The fstab(5) manpage does say to see the ``-o'' option in the mount(8)
manpage for option details and that lists ``noauto'' which implies
that auto is the default although it doesn't (can't?) be used
explicitly (it actually says that ``noauto'' causes ``mount -a'' to
skip that entry). Sysinstall adds it for floppies and CD-ROM:

/dev/cd0c         /cdrom     cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

> 	# mkdir -p /floppy/ufs
> 	# mkdir -p /floppy/msdos
> 	# mkdir -p /floppy/ext2
>
> and have the proper entries in my fstab.  Then I choose which type of
> filesystem the floppy will be mounted with:
>
> 	# mount /floppy/ufs
>
> or something similar.
>
> > I also tried to add 'user' to the options list and that also appears
> > not supported.
>
> This is considered by a lot of people to be a security violation, and it
> is disabled by default.  There is no fine-grained per-filesystem control
> (like what you did in linux) but you can enable mounting of devices by
> setting:
>
> 	# sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
>
> > Both of these work on my linux boxes, how can I do the same thing on
> > FreeBSD? I have to su to mount a floppy and access a floppy.
>
> Err, well, sorry to say that, but this is not linux.  There are a few
> differences.  You have quite correctly spotted two of them ;)
>
> --
> Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr>
> See the headers of this message for my public key fingeprint.

Seminars, n.:
       From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.