Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:28:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On 27 Jul 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
> implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.

	First, I'm all for this idea, and applaud you and Jamie for taking
it on. I do have a few questions. Does POSIX say anything about grep, and
if so, is this version compliant? Also, I'd like to put in another vote
for full GNU grep feature compliance, since while having our own code is a
good thing, I am against introducing gratuitous differences since I have
enough of those to deal with already.

	I think ports building is a good test, but has anyone tested
it with RCS yet? IIRC RCS is heavily dependant on GNU grep, diff and
patch.  I don't think CVS is dependant on external programs anymore
though.

	I use grep heavily in day to day administration tasks so I look
forward to giving this a try.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter