Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:58:09 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        dpoland@execpc.com, jfb@visi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD and W2k

At 1:52 PM -0500 8/7/00, dpoland@execpc.com wrote:
>This may not help you, but I gave up and bought PartitionMagic.
>It comes with BootMagic that replaces both WinNT/FBSD boot
>managers and allows multi-os booting.  One reason I choose this
>was because I failed to create a / partion for FBSD that was
>under 1024 cylinder barrier.  I had to re-partition my HD and
>didn't want to re-install Win2k and all the junk that goes
>along with it.  My partion scheme turned out to be:
>	FAT16:	50MB - BootMagic needs a DOS partion to
>	    	       store it's stuff
>	UFS:	50MB - / partition for FBSD 4.0
>	NTFS:	8GB  - just barely enough room ;)
>	UFS:	3GB  - /usr  /var  /swap for FBSD

Another option is PowerBoot from
http://www.blueskyinnovations.com/pboot.html

It has worked quite well for me, and does not require a
separate partition.  On the other hand, I don't know if
it would work for booting something past the 1024-cylinder
mark.  In my case, I have used it for booting a variety
of Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, and OpenBSD systems.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute