Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A case of FreeBSD users shooting all FreeBSD users in the foot?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Johnson David wrote:
> The author had a decent *NIX pedigree, but parts of his tale where just
> bizarre. He never installed the Linux compatibility package, then
> proceeded to complain that Linux compatibility didn't work. This
> trickled over into complaints that OpenOffice for Linux didn't work,
> and that printing in general was a nightmare because he installed the
> Linux CUPS package instead of the native version. And his account of
> sysinstall wiping out his logs is downright puzzling.

these kinds of reports crop up all the time.  linux users reporting on
first-time BSD expereiences, and vice versa.  a lot of these reports came
out back in the "BSD vs. Linux" days when linux gurus would misconfigure
BSD servers in "performance tests".

the point is, don't whine if you don't know what you're doing...  if you
know what you're doing, and you've verified you're jumping through the
correct hoops...  sure, provide feedback to help everyone.  complaining
without actually configuring the system properly really only makes you
look like a fool.

but, along the user friendliness line, i guess some would argue even a
fool should be able to install/use/administer our OS.  as such, i guess
the report can at least be used to figure out ways we can point lazy (i
know the guy isn't clueless based upon reputation, but he has to be lazy
if he couldn't even figure out linux emulation) users in the right
direction for common "newbie" tasks.

then again, reading the docs would have answered most/all of his
questions.  what else is new.

-mrh

From: "Spam Catcher" <spam-catcher@adept.org>
To: spam-catcher@adept.org
Do NOT send email to the address listed above or
you will be added to a blacklist!