Date:      Sun, 20 May 2007 16:28:56 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting X11BASE

--==========1215B73D19A669E4862B==========

--On May 20, 2007 4:24:15 PM -0400 Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>=20
wrote:

>> I'm in the same situation, with several headless servers with no X
>> running  but xorg-libraries installed as a dependency.
>>
>> I tried running portupgrade -ai on one server.  It failed.
>>
>> I ran pkgdb -L and fixed a tons of dependencies by installing the new
>> xorg  7.2 ports.  Then I ran portupgrade -ai again.  This time it
>> upgraded  xorg-libraries from 6.9 to 7.2, and the only failures were
>> related to php4  (which was held up by the port freeze and needs a
>> security update, which  should be released shortly.)
>>
>> I'm not sure what to do next.  I put X11BASE=3D${LOCALBASE} in
>> /etc/make.conf, and I ran mergebase.sh.  Is there anything else that I
>> need to do?
>
> Following directions is considered too hard?  If you're going to do
> things in some random order you came up with on your own (instead of
> following the careful, precise directions provided in UPDATING) then I
> don't have a lot of patience for helping you recover your damaged
> system.  Good luck :-)

Maybe you should take a chill pill, Kris.  I know you've been working very =

hard on this upgrade, and it appears you've gotten cranky.

First of all, my system is working fine.  Secondly, I *did* read the=20
directions - several times.  Then I brought up a second terminal so I=20
could have the directions in front of me while I tried the upgrade.  But=20
this is not a system that runs Xorg or any graphical display at all.  The=20
upgrade, as written in UPDATING didn't work for me.  Maybe it will work on =

the next server I run it on.  Maybe not.  Maybe I'm an idiot and can't=20
read English.  The point of my post was that I was able to fix the problem =

by running pkgdb -L, which "fixed" all the missing dependencies because=20
xorg has been "split" into all sorts of pieces.

It would be nice if every port that you use on a headless system didn't=20
require xorg libraries, but I suppose that's unrealistic.

If you can show me where the instructions are for UPDATING a headless=20
server that's not running xorg at all but has some xorg libraries as=20
dependencies to other ports, I'd be happy to follow those instructions=20
instead.

Lest anyone get the wrong impression, I am *very* thankful that there are=20
many people willing to volunteer to help make FreeBSD what it is.  (My=20
favorite OS, BTW.)  I myself maintain several ports, so I have a small=20
inkling of what it's like to do all this work.  I'm not complaining.  I=20
was simply answering the OP's question about what he should do regarding a =

headless server without X if the upgrade fails.

Getting back to my question, however, I have run portupgrade and=20
everything is up to date (except php4, but we know why), I ran mergebase=20
and I added X11BASE=3D${LOCALBASE} to /etc/make.conf.  The system is =
working=20
fine.  /usr/X11R6 is a symlink to /usr/local.

Is there anything else that I need to do?  Or am I done?  I think I'm=20
done, but I defer to the experts.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas