Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 01:23:10 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Frank <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd linux and FreeBSD

On Jan 24, 18:55, Frank wrote:

} > } You will note from the header that Mr Morini is in Italy. You may also
} > } note that DES is not exportable outside the US.
} >
} > And you might try to imagine, just for a moment,
} > that he doesn't have to EXPORT it from the US, in
} > order to IMPORT it to Italy ...
} >
} > Thanks, I KNEW you could do it, if you only tried!

} DES is STILL subject to US export restrictions.

Well, seems I was wrong, you could not imagine
he was importing it, without any need to have it
be exported from the US for that purpose ...

Sorry ...

Now, we'll try again, slowly:

Try to imagine, that by some wonderful inspiration
some person outside the US managed to write code,
that looks like DES, talks like DES, walks like DES.

You got the picture ?

And now he gives this code to somebody else outside
the US, without it ever going through the US.

You can imagine that ?

This might help you understand why the people working
on the security and encryption code in FreeBSD have
mail adresses ending in ".za" and ".au" and why the
host "ftp.internat.freebsd.org" is located in South
Africa ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160