Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:56:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Merge of KAME code

I'm still intending to merge back the KAME code into 4.0 in a few days, to
give something approaching adequate shakedown time in 4.0 before release.
With the exception of the rcmd_af() bug found by Peter, and missing
functionality in IPv6 multicast (see recent post to -net by itojun) I
haven't heard of any problems with the new code.

I'm still nervous about merging back the libc changes because (as
demonstrated already) they have a larger chance to affect IPv4 operation.
Umemoto-san, do you have any opinions about the wisdom of this?

(As a reminder, my motivation for pushing this is to have 4.1 be capable
of running racoon, the KAME IKE daemon, which makes IPSEC *much* more
functional and usable in real-world situations (including interoperation
with other platforms). Secondary, but still important, is to push FreeBSD
as a viable platform for IPv6 and IPSEC research - based on the traffic I
see on the KAME mailing list, FreeBSD is already a major research platform
but users until now had to use the 4.0-REL KAME snaps)

If anyone has problems with the new KAME they've been keeping to
themselves, or intends to exercise some kind of veto, please let me know!

Kris