Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 1999 11:54:32 +1000 (EST)
From:      Phil Homewood <phil@rivendell.apana.org.au>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/12672: netscape fails on RELENG_3

>Number:         12672
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       netscape fails with "bus error" on RELENG_3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	i486DX2/66, 32Mb RAM, 128Mb swap
	3.2-STABLE, cvsupped around Jul 13
	COMPAT22=yes in /etc/make.conf
	USE_128BIT=YES in /etc/make.conf (commented this and
	did "make deinstall reinstall"; it didn't help.)

	netscape-navigator-4.61 port installs, starts to run, pops up
	the license dialog, then dies with "bus error" (after the
	not-unexpected keysym translation warning cascade). This
	happens with the "stock" navigator and the "fortified" one.
	output of "ldconfig -aout -r -v" shows the correct a.out
	libs (/usr/lib/aout:/usr/lib/compat/aout:/usr/X11R6/lib/aout);
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH is unset.

	I'm guessing this one has to be pilot error, as surely there
	are others out there for whom this works, but if it can bite
	this pilot it may well bite others. This machine has never
	before run netscape under 3.x; I do still have a Netscape 1.1N
	binary lying around on another disk from my FreeBSD 2.1 days,
	which runs fine.

>How-To-Repeat:

	# cd /usr/ports/www/netscape46-navigator && make install
	$ netscape

>Fix:

	Unsure. I don't have an a.out gdb handy, and the ktrace output
	doesn't mean much to me. If anyone wants my ktrace.out to help
	debug this one just ask; it's nearly 3Mb.