Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 03:27:43 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPCOMING FLAG DAY (Jan 6)

I've updated the notes I originally used in the mail about the upcoming
next stage of the ELF transition.  In case you missed it or skipped too
many articles in catchup after the break, the nutshell version is that we
are planning on forcing the rest of the ELF changeover - a.out 'make
world's are going to be disabled and we're going to switch the default
kernel format to elf.

Anyway, there is a (hopefully) better copy now at:
  http://www.freebsd.org/~peter/elfday.html

Also, I have made a 3.5 inch disk image that can be used to create a
preinstalled floppy with a generic kernel.gz.  It boots to the point of
starting /sbin/init.  I strongly recommend people grab this and test out
the basic stuff on it.

As a footnote, the disk I created above has a slight tweek to the boot1/
boot2 code.  One of my machines has a BT545S in it and it's int 0x13 BIOS
hooks trash a bit of scratch memory that BTX uses.  The tweaked version on
the disk above uses a different relocation and callback address.  This is
not yet resolved, the hack I did could be making things worse, so don't
shoot me yet. :-)

I have not activated bootforth on the disks..  I guess the
/usr/share/examples/bootforth/*.4th files would do as a starter.

Cheers,
-Peter