Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:42:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Jensen-Grey <seanj@speakeasy.org>
To:        Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsuping and rebuilding, esp. ports

I don't rebuild ports after cvsuping? why? I thought of making a small python
script to go check /var/db/pkgs or some such and compare the version numbers
there against what you have in ports for the same package. would be handy.

The dependencies for each package are / could be different. They all might not
use the same version of ghooka_lib1.77a.so right? Unless the dependency they
link against is another package (very good solution). But then you have the
upgrade in the field problem. aaaahhhhh dll hell with deps.

But after you cvsup anything into /usr/src you should do a rebuild of the world.
Otherwise your environment to actually DO the rebuild will not be correct. I
already ran into this problem a while back.