Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 2020 11:35:42 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD using swap even though there's a lot of free memory

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:24 AM Twingly Customer Support <team@twingly.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a server running FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p10. We currently have a
> problem where FreeBSD starting to swap when running ZFS scrub, even thoug=
> we have ~70G of free memory.

tl;dr =E2=80=93 this is normal, nothing to see, move along.

It's not "swapping" =E2=80=93 it's paging pre-emptively.  If you're used to=
 Linux,
you might think "swap bad"  ;-)   There is a lot of history to VM
management in BSD.  This might be an easy place to start:

https://flylib.com/books/en/2.849.1.78/1/

--=20

"Well," Brahm=C4=81 said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is =
no
wiser, but an intelligent person requires only two thousand five hundred."

- The Mah=C4=81bh=C4=81rata