Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:24:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        fabry@panam.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: group writable directory error with majordomo

>From: "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>
>Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:10:01 -0600

>I've updated our sendmail to 8.9.1. After this update, majordomo is giving
>me an error.....

>550  :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/panam-alumni...cannot open
>/usr/local/majordomo/lists/panam-alumni: Group writable directory
>Message delivered to mailing list panam-alumni-outgoing
>554 panam-alumni-outgoing... aliasing/forwarding loop broken

>With the update to sendmail 8.9.1 there is no more relaying on our server.

That may be true, but it's not clear to me that it's relevant.

The complaint is the group-writable directory,
/usr/local/majordomo/lists/panam-alumni.

Try ensurinig that majordomo owns the directory, and take away
group-write premissions.  (Or change sendmail's configuration so it
doesn't complain; see the "confUNSAFE_GROUP_WRITES" define.)

>All the subscribers to the list are from outside the domain except for
>myself. Nobody, including myself cannot send any more mail to the list.
>What could be the problem and how can i solve it?

Majordomo does not depend on "relaying" to accomplish its task.  Rather,
it receives a message addressed to a specific address; in response, it
sends a message to a list of addresses.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621