Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:52:53 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        graywane@home.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burncd audio problems

> Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 22:34:57 -0400
> From: Graywane <graywane@home.com>
> Subject: burncd audio problems
>
> - --82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs
>
> I am having no problems writing data CD's with /usr/sbin/burncd on my ATAPI
> PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210A. However, I can't seem to write a good audio CD.
> Using cdda2wav I can get descent wav files but extracting in raw format and
> then burning to the CD results in garbage.

What commands are you using to
(1) extract wave to raw format, and
(2) burn the cd?

And, what is "garbage"?  Does it produce a CD that your player will
accept, but the sound produced is garbage?  Or are you saying that
burncd aborts the attempted write?  Or neither?

> What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say.  I don't know what you are doing.

If your problem is that the sound that your newly-burned CD produces
is garbage, and if you are confident you have a good wave file, maybe
you could try using the wave file directly (don't convert to raw),
e.g.

burncd -f /dev/acd0c audio filename.wav fixate

and see what happens.  A wave file is just raw audio with a small
header.  The header will produce a slight click at the start of
the track, but should otherwise not cause a problem.  This will help
determine whether you problem is in the conversion from wave to raw
format, or in the burncd process.

And I'm going to paste this in from later in the thread:
> Here is an update to the problem I posted the other day about problems
> writing audio CD's with /usr/sbin/burncd. Just noticed the following in my
> log files:
>
>   /kernel: acd0: READ_TOC - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=3D24 ascq=3D00 error=3D04
>
> Would that have anything to do with my problems?

That seems to be normal.  I suspect it is a byproduct of burncd checking
to see if you actually have a CD in the drive before it does anything
else.

- Bob