Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 2004 17:35:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Wilde <twilde@dyndns.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd network issue ... *very* slow scp between two servers

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I have two servers on the same network switch, sitting one on top of the
> other ... one is running an em (Dual-Xeon 2.4Ghz) device, the other an fxp
> (Dual-PIII 1.3Ghz) device ...

Is it a Cisco Catalyst switch?  If so, you need to switch the em's to
autoselect, on both the server and switch end.  For some reason, the em
driver will not properly lock down its rate when talking to a Cisco
Catalyst switch.  At least, I had an identical problem with em's talking
to a Catalyst 2950 and that was the fix I came up with.  Give it a try and
see how your results go.

Tim Wilde

--
Tim Wilde