Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:19:14 -0300
From:      Fernando Ariel Gont <fgont@softhome.net>
To:        DRHAGER@de.ibm.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARP makes a LAN "vulnerable"?

At 13:15 30/12/1999 +0100, DRHAGER@de.ibm.com wrote:

 >So what?
 >You can always see all the traffic on your segment.
 >Try tcpdump, snoop, iptrace.....

Sorry, I thought that there were some ways to don't let tcpdump see the packets....  :(

 >If you have two identical adresses on the MAC -Layer, you will run in a

What's the MAC-layer????

 >real problem, so such a thing will be noticed on the net.

I didn't mean to have two machines with the same address. I meant that I could use ARP so that the IP address of a given host is translated to the hardware address of MY host. In that way, the packets that someone wants to send to the former host, would go to MY host, instead...

Regards,

Fernando Ariel Gont

E-mail:   fgont@softhome.net
web site: http://members.xoom.com/gont/

--- "Con las computadoras crearemos una civilizacion de estupidos tecnologicos,
      y una elite se ira quedando con todo. Cuando digo elite me refiero a gente
      como yo, que puede leer." - Ray Bradbury, escritor