Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 08:17:56 +0200
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        bsd-lists@BSDforge.com, Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
Subject:   Re: support of PCIe NVME drives

Chris wrote on 04/17/2020 05:51:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 19:57:21 -0700 Mel Pilgrim
> list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com said

>> laptop >> yesterday which has a nvme root device, it was detected by
>> the >> 12-STABLE snapshot I used to boot from.  no other modifications
>> were >> necessary on my end.
>> installer > ISO but without luck. Still no NVME disks :(
>>
>> Looking at server specs, the R6515's NVME support is only through the
>> PERC S150 RAID controller.  If that's the case, I'm pretty sure you're
>> out of luck.  The PERC S-series controllers are software-based RAID
>> that require Dell's Windows or Linux drivers.  You'd need a PERC
>> H-series card to get support in FreeBSD.

That's something I didn't expect at all. So there is nothing which can
be fixed on FreeBSD side? :(

>> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?
> As I mentioned. I was suspicious of this. He should be able to flash the
> card,
> making it a pass. I do a lot of them. If someone doesn't beat me to it.
> I'll
> dig through what I have, and see if I can't find the right image(s), and
> program(s).

This is rented dedicated machine. I cannot flash anything on it.

I can ask the provider if they can install some card. Do you have some
recommendation? What is supported by Dell and FreeBSD for ZFS?

I really appreciate your help!

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman