Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:11:49 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   HELP: IIJ-PPP demand-dial with dynamic IP on both ends

OK,I relent!  I've been mucking with the -auto feature of iij-ppp for days
and can't get it to work reliably.  I've come to the point where interactive
mode works flawlessly every time, but can't get the blasted thing to reliably
demand dial.

I've looked at the ppp.conf.samples, .filter.samples, .linkup.samples until
I'm blue in the face.

I've even had it sorta-work a couple of times -- the *FIRST* time a
demand-dial situation occurs -- but it won't work reliably on subsequent
demand-dials.

Also, it seems to *NEVER* work if I:
	# telnet localhost 3000
	PPP ON localhost> quit all
	#

and subsequently restart ppp -auto [system] from the command line.

The biggest problem (I think) is that the addresses on both ends (ISP and
local) are dynamic - I can't figure out how to set up the ifaddr stuff to
accommodate this scenario.  All of the references - source, manpages,
handbook and FAQ - seem to assume that I'll know, in advance, what the remote
side address will be.

Does anyone have a working ppp.conf and / or ppp.linkup file that works in
-auto mode with both ends of the line having dynamic addresses?

Help!  (and thanks for your help!)

...sjs...