Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 14:25:31 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Reading kbd scancodes from userland

Hi,

>Failing that, has anyone figured out a keyboard mapping for an
>Inspiron 7000 that puts the left ALT key back where it belongs?
>(The reason for the first request is to try to determine what
>effect the left ALT key actually has. On this laptop, the "windows"
>key does what left ALT normally does, making life miserable when
>running a non-win98 external keyboard.)

This is pretty wiered.  You mean the REAL left ALT key doesn't work on
this notebook and the external keyboard?

Can you veryfy that the same problem exists in other OS, such as
W*ndows, environments?  If so, I suspect there is a bug in the
keyboard controller firmare, which traslates keyboard signal into scan
codes.

Kazu