Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> > That's why I suggested specifically killing the mailing of the gcc, and
> > allowing folks to separately ftp the ctm update of that one.
>
> What would you have the developers do.
>
> 1) Fix bugs, add code, make things better
> 2) Do administration work, and let the remote developers worry about
>    such issues (since they are capable of making sure this doesn't
>    happen).

No, it's much simpler than that, Nate.  This is the first time I've seen
that a ctm update threatens to be this large.  Chances are, it will
continue to be rare.  I don't worry about anything smaller than about 5
megs, and that seems to cover most contingencies.

I don't want to hamstring developers either.  I am asking for a one time,
extraordinary, suspension of one ctm mailing, the big one that handles
the new gcc.  No other ones, no affect on any developers, no effect on
any suppers, and the only effect on ctm users is that they have to get
ONE update via ftp.  Doesn't sound like too big a request to me.

I could do the unsubscribe bit, if there will be at least 12 hours
warning of the update.  I don't think that's a good idea, altho I'll do
it, because I don't think that mailing out huge numbers of copies of a 25
MB mailbomb is a good idea in general.  Point it, this is a one time
thing, I think it justifies a one time response that won't put anyone out.

> You *are* a remote developer if you're getting the CTM stuff.  And, if
> you can't handle the mail load of the gcc integration, un-subscribe from
> CTM until it all blows over, ftp everything by hand, and when everything
> is back to normal re-subscribe.
>
> Everything is in your hands and Poul didn't have to do anything, and
> those users who *can* handle the larger email aren't punished either.
>
> Viola, problem solved.
>

> Nate

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |