Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:57:25 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd Print Job Name

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:07:58PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> (Related posts were made in -questions last night, but I think this may
> be a more appropriate list.)
[snip]
> I hacked a preliminary -N option into lpr today.  It works (I was
> surprised).  But has lpr been around so long that it should not be
> touched?  And there are issues about how multiple files should be
> handled: force the same job name on all of them, just the first one, or
> use a delimited list after -N?
>=20
> What about lpd--is adding a -N option and the job name to the parameters
> it feeds to input filters a bad idea?
>=20
> Suggestions are welcome--thanks!

You might want to get in touch with Garance Alistair Drosehn
<gad@FreeBSD.org>; he seems to be our resident lpr guru :)  And, from
what I gather from his periodical postings about his works, no, lpr is
not in a 'not to be touched' state - I think he is actually actively
working on it, both writing his own code and merging NetBSD/OpenBSD lpr
improvements.

Not sure if he follows either -questions or -hackers, so you might
really want to drop him a line.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
I had to translate this sentence into English because I could not read the =
original Sanskrit.

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh--