Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:27:43 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Harry Coin <harrycoin@qconline.com>, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: mss.c pcm fix to ' attach returned 6 ' load failure for v5.x acpi and up

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 04:12 pm, Harry Coin wrote:
> John,
>
> I am sincerely  appreciative the time you have taken.  Your test results
> are below.
>
> I haven't  processed everything you've written, but I'm not going to hold
> you up waiting as that is going to take a while.
>
> The code just comments out the line you mentioned.  pcm0 loads with ACPI on
> in this case.  I haven't tested what happens with ACPI off, and have no
> easy way to test what will happen with the other non-pnp chips (or other
> pnp chips) this driver supports.

Ok, thanks.

> I suggest you send a copy of your comments to whoever fixes up the
> architecture manual, because of evident disagreement regarding best
> practice in the isa non-pnp driver detection method (ISA_PNP_PROBE vs.
> isa_get_logical_id).

Well, I think I've just figured out why it says that (the ACPIxxxx devices),
so it looks like I am going to have to go through and fix all the various
drivers to use a probe routine if they attach to ACPI.  It looks like several
drivers attach to acpi that probably don't need to as well (ACPI only
enumerates built-in hardware like COM ports, etc.  It doesn't enumerate ISA
PnP cards).