Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:14:53 -0700
From:      OCTAVIAN HORNOIU <liquid_net@usa.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: I'm New, Help, regarding Installation

When you burn the ISO images to the CD it converts it from the ISO
format to an actual CD where files and such are present on the CD.  ISO
is simply a standard for exchanging images of entire CDs with other
people over the internet and such.  Think of it as a giant zip file.
You will need to have a program that supports ISO burning to burn the
CDs but most programs will do that.  An excellent program for burning
ISO's on windows is Nero Burning ROM and there are many for Linux.

At boot time set your computer to boot off of the CD-ROM in the BIOS and
put your newly burned CD in the drive.  It will then recognize it and
boot off the CD you made.  Keep in mind that some older CD-ROMs and
BIOSEs do not support booting off CD-ROM.  Generally with newer
computers, this is not a problem.  If you do run into this, you will
need to create boot floppies.  Please read the Handbook on this issue.

Make sure to read the FreeBSD Handbook thoroughly on installation before
starting to do anything as it will save you lots of headaches.  An
alternative is to get a book from Amazon.  I recommend FreeBSD Unleashed
as it is very friendly to those that are new to BSD.

Good luck!

Octavian Hornoiu