Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:30:15 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>, "Mike Porter" <mike.porter@xrxgsn.com>
Cc:        "John Merryweather Cooper" <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What is the magical incantation necessary to print to /dev/ulpt0

This is only true for retail consumers that are stupid.  Most businesses
look at reliability first because they understand that saving a few hundred
bucks in capital expenditures is piss-poor economy if it increases your
service and maintainence costs by thousands over the life of the printer.

>It costs money to put hardware in the printer.
>And when all (well, from marketing's perspective) your customers already
>have a printer running windows, then why not use the computer and make the
>printer cheaper.

Because if you push the printer intelligence from the printer into the
driver, then you decrease reliability because you can have interactions on
the host between other software and the driver.

case in point - today my father in-law stopped by with a brand, spanking,
new HP Omnibook that he had just gotten from a leasing company that his
employer is "trying out"  He wanted me to set up a Dialup Networking icon so
he could log it into an ISP.

Well, it took me about 15 minutes to discover that the modem in the computer
was screwed up.  It was an ESS piece of yit Winmodem that was on the
motherboard of the laptop.  I got onto HP's website and discovered a
"critical" driver update for this laptop - and the update was a brand new
modem driver that corrected several problems that basically made the modem not
work at all.  So I guess I did the leasing company a giant favor because you
can imagine the circus that would have followed if a non-technical user like
my father in law would have complained to the company that the modem didn't
work!  (of course only after blowing an hour or two of an ISP's tech support
time)

The thing that really tore it was that the driver was released last week - and
this model of Omnibook had been selling since the beginning of the year.  So,
for some people they would not have been able to use their modems for 6 months
while HP fiddle-faddle-fardled around getting a debugged device driver out.

>In the all the current Zxx series, the host driver
>performs all the half-toning and shingling of the data. The printers
>actually have hardware 'rotater' code that formats the data for the
>printhead. In the upcoming release, this 'rotation' will be done in the
>host computer. This saves alot of chip real estate since the new printer
>has larger more complicated printheads.

This is all great in theory but a nightmare in execution because it just
encourages hardware companies like HP to rush a hardware design out the door
then spend the next YEAR buggering around with the device driver while all of
the customers are in effect beta testers.

If the customer has any brains they will buy the printer that has the
intelligence in the printer - because then if there is a problem it's
obvious, and easily provable, and they have warranty recourse.  If, however,
the customer has mush for brains then they buy the crap printer that
has the fancy device driver - and if there's a problem then they just
sit in the middle of a finger-pointing session between the printer
manufacturer and the manufacturer of the computer, while each blame the
other's crappy hardware.  And you ought to note the software license that HP
slaps on their printer device driver - the driver software has NO warranty in
it whatsover.  No wonder companies like HP are doing this - because in effect
they are removing the most trouble-prone part of the printer - the imaging
software -from consumer warranty protection.