Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:46:57 +1000 (EST)
From:      Keith Anderson <keith@apcs.com.au>
To:        Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats going on please

Hi Andrew

The version of popper is (v2.53) and the box is FreeBSD 3.1-REL.

The person is still trying to connect now.

I think I have closed all doors ATM. I have put tcp_wrappers on pop so only
local ip's can access mail. I will ftp in new source and remake a kernel.

should I maybe cvs to 3.2-REL ? and make world

The problem is, it's a remote site.

If the hacker was in then I beleave he would stop trying all ports for access.

Thanks

Keith

On 27-Jun-99 Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> popper is a well known problem.  Search back through the archives of
> freebsd-security for details.  Once one problem was found in popper, a series
> of other problems came to light.  I believe the problems that were identified
> have been fixed, but I don't know how comprehensively the source has been
> analysed.
>
> After getting root access (or presuming they had) through popper, they tried
> to log in through ssh and telnet.  You have log entries from failed attempts,
> but I don't know your system well enough to comment on whether there were
> successful logins also.  My guess is that they failed to get in the first
> time, but may have succeeded in the second attack on popper.  Alternatively
> they may have just gone away.
>
> It's probable that if your version of popper is vulnerable then someone has
> had root access to your machine, and potentially any change at all could have
> been made  to your setup.  To be really sure of your security you should
> rebuild from backup, or failing that from a clean system install.
>
> Looks like they were interested in the kmem user.  I don't know if that's
> something to do with what is possible through the popper exploit, but it's
> interesting that they didn't just go for root.  Is there some program which
> runs as kmem but refuses to run as root that they might have been interested
> in?
>
> Andrew McNaughton
>

>> Hi All

<SNIP>

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD."

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Keith Anderson <keith@apcs.com.au>
Australia Power Control Systems Pty. Limited.
Date: 27-Jun-99
Time: 21:38:32
Satelite Service 64K to 2Meg
This message was sent by XFMail