Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 08:52:59 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Question

> From: "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:31:36 -0600
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I just installed 4.5-Release and rebuilt my custom kernel.
> When checking dmesg and /var/log messages I noticed the errors (see at
> bottom of message):
> I noticed that /boot/kernel.conf had the following entries:
>
> psm0
> sn0
> lnc0
> ie0
> e0
> ed0
> cs0
> bt0
> aic0
> aha0
> adv0
>
> These devices do not exist on my system so I deleted the entries from
> kernel.conf and now the system boots up fine with no errors.
>
> I may have added these entries by accident during the install when I
> "deleted" the conflicting devices from the Kernel Configuration.
>
> What is the purpose of /boot/kernel.conf and should the file be empty or
> even exist?

These entries should have been in the form "di psm0". They are created
by the visual configuration operation at installation time to disable
devices in the GENERIC kernel which might cause conflicts and keep the
GENERIC kernel from booting properly.

There is no man page for kernel.conf, but here is a message I just
sent out to another person who was baffled by this poorly documented
tool:

There seems to be no centralized documentation on the kernel.conf
file. Maybe, some day when I actually have a bit of free time, I will
try writing a man page for it.

/boot/kernel.conf is a file of commands to the loader that can adjust
the way the system loads. Among the things you can do with it are:
disable /enable devices. This allows the use of devices marked
"disable" in the kernel configuration as we as disabling any device
that would otherwise be enabled.

It can also supply/override any of the configuration parameters in the
kernel configuration file such as irq, iomem, port, etc. This is
especially important for loadable modules that need this information
to operate correctly.

Finally, kernel.conf, as a whole, is enabled by the presence of
userconfig_script_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf. This is only
documented in very cryptic fashion in the loader.conf man page.

userconfig_script_load
	(``NO'') If set to ``YES'', will load the userconfig
	data.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)