Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 1995 17:23:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GI1904 hand scanner available on freebsd.cdrom.com

One point: the driver works with a halftone (1bit/pixel) grey scanner.
However, yesterday I borrowed a 18bit color scanner, and it uses the
same GI1904 board inside the PC. The driver can communicate with the
color scanner as well, although I don't know
1) how to set the resolution and operating mode (gray/color; I
   suspect that the scanner always sends the same things, then the
   sw does the appropriate changes);
2) what is the format of the data which come out: with 1 byte/pixel
   I can see something resembling the image being scanned, but
   don't know how the three colors come out. If someone has
   these information I'd be glad to incorporate them in the driver.

Another thing: does some people in Europe know how to contact a company
named "Trust", which manufactures a lot of PC peripherals here in Italy
? Their local representative is called "Aashima", but I suspect they
are just importers of the product.

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/