Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:29:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Cc:        se@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCCARD in -current broken

[
Forgive the cross-posting, the information is of interest to a number
of folks.
]

It has been for some time (May).  If it works on your box, you're
lucky!  (PHK is one of the lucky ones, and it may be related to using
more PCI-like machines, unlike older 'straight-ISA' laptops).

The change to the 'generic' shared interrupt code broke some assumptions
I had about 'register_intr()' and 'unregister_intr()' in
/sys/pccard/pcic.c.  Basically, I had assumed the register_intr() would
fail if I wanted access to an interrupt that was already taken, and now
it succeeds so I add it to my list of 'available' IRQ's (I'd give it
back, but at this point the freemask is really hosed).  This assumption
leads to all sorts of problems, of which I haven't completely thought
about.

In any case, until the code in /sys/kern/kern_intr.c ifdef'd out by
'RESOURCE_CHECK' is finished, or something else is done to make sure
that 'ISA/Exclusive' interrupts are not allowed to be registered as
'shared' resources, I think there are potential problems with the
current scheme, and may even effect 'normal' (non-laptop) systems who
use ISA devices, though it's doubtful they do silly things like I'm
doing in the PCCARD code.

I don't have any solutions in the short-term, but I wanted to let folks
know about the possible problems.

Nate

ps. The code in 2.2.* is not affected, since the new interrupt code only
lives in -current.