Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:55:21 +1000
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.x/6.x network stability

Morning All,

I've been having a heap of trouble with the primary network interface on
a box that was running 5.4 and recently upgraded to 6.0-Beta5 where the
interface would just go dead.  Nothing in ifconfig or syslog or dmesg
would indicate a problem, but nothing would go in or out. The only way
to fix it was reboot.

A week ago, after searching the mailing lists I realised it might be the
fact that I was using Netatalk and that might not be MP safe so I set
debug.mpsafenet="0" in /boot/loader.conf and the box has been stable
ever since.

Is anyone looking at the kernel Netatalk code?  Is this likely to be the
real reason for the problem?

Thanks,

Carl.