Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 01:27:04 +0000
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: xntpd?? where is /etc/ntp.conf??

Jim Dennis wrote:

>         How do I check to insure that xntpd is operating correctly?
>         (actually I know it wasn't -- but why can't I find  it using
>         'ps aux | grep xn')?
>
>         Why isn't there a /etc/ntp.conf (as the man page suggests
>         there would be)?
>
>         How do I get this configured correctly?  How do I test that
>         it's working?
>
> Jim Dennis,
> System Administrator,
> McAfee Associates

Jim,

Create the /etc/ntp.conf with content like this:

------- start of /etc/ntp.conf --------
server 10.10.10.10
statsdir /var/log/
statistics loopstats
------- end of /etc/ntp.conf --------

Obviously, the "10.10.10.10" host is fictitious; I use one in Spain and it would not be
useful to you. Use the NTP server of your choice. Also, I remember that under 2.0.5 I
had to explicitly specify the file /etc/ntp.conf as a command line option, though I
haven't checked this with 2.1

Anyone interested on computer timekeeping can find interesting NTP stuff at the URL
http://glen-ellyn.rice.iit.edu/~clocks/clocks/ntp/ntp.html.

I hope this helps.

P.D. Looking at the date of your mail, I realize that you *really* need NTP ;)