Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:07:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, dyson@iquest.net, wes@softweyr.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High Load cron patches - comments?

Kevin Day said:

> To step back in here again...
>
> It's kinda interesting the discussion this generated.
>
> I think we're all discusssing slightly different problems, so we're coming
> up with different ways to address them.
>

> Here's my problem.
>
> Cron turned into a massive forkbomb every minute, and especially every 10
> minutes. Not only did the system nearly go dead at those points, but at
> times, it took 5 minutes to catch up.
>
> Supposed you have to run 60 jobs per minute, and they all take around a
> second to execute. If you run them one second at a time, you're likely to
> get done with them every minute. If you try to run them all at once, you're
> likely not to get finished after a minute, causing a backlog.

The same problem exists in other subsystems also.  If you limit the rate
by limiting peaks, you often (depending on app) end up with too small a
limit, or still getting serious peaks.  Sometimes an absolute limit is
adequate, but a true rate limit would be / is a big plus.  I added some
stuff to the VM code and had gotten very interesting (positive) results
for load/resource sharing.

Brute force techniques can take too much CPU (IMO), but the scheme that
I implemented has almost NO overhead.  (I suspect that you also produced
a low overhead implementation.)

It seems that a general scheme would be nice for the system...  I can see
reasons for it in the VM code, fork code, and other places.  I really don't
know how it should be done (this is pretty much a food for thought
discussion.)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid