Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:02:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      wjw@iae.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad memory suspected

Hi,

Being probably bitten again by some bad memory, I'm considering applying
some of my old (VLSI) testingskills to this. However.....

I'm in dire need of some hints, some because I haven't kept up with the
intimate details of Intel hardware, nor do I know how to get a lineair
memory space for all the fysical memory available in the system.

The starting problems are:
1) I'd like to do this als a loadable kernel module, so one would load this
module on the boot-prompt and let it eat away CPU time until it is rebooted.
Now is there a module example which I can use to get me an easy setup for
plugging inthe memory-test modules. Starting with simple things like
"walking 0 and 1's", but ending up with O(n^2) tests to check for
dependancies on surrounding values

2) Cache is a friend and a fiend in this: It helps fast execution of the
code, but prevents data really getting to the silicon. So all experience in
this is welcomed. Bluntly I can disable all caching (which would be nice for
starters), but once we get to the more complex testingpatterns CPU-cycles do
start to count.

3) PC memory layouts used to be a major art just by itself in the old days
when we still used DIP 4116's, how is that in the current time with SIMM,
DIMM, RAMBUS, PCI-bridges, ECC, .....
Any pointers to nightly reading material??

Thanx,
--Willem Jan

I once had a TRS-80 test run for 3 days, before it gave in, but then the
error was reproducable and pinpointed the actual chip to be replaced. Which
did fix the problem.
--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands