Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:08:43 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Claudiu Dragalia-Paraipan <dr.clau@gmail.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh & select() problem on 5.3

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 06:43:47PM +0200, Claudiu Dragalia-Paraipan wrote:

> Since the problem occurs only when I connect to the firewall or to a
> server behind it, I started to suspect a hardware failure. Could a
> network card cause such problems ?
> The firewall is running on FreeBSD 5.2.1 with PF+ALTQ, and I can observe
> the same behaviour: dmesg locks ssh connection. I have test this with PF
> disabled, and the problem still occurs, so I can eliminate PF as a problem.

Perhaps an MTU problem, with the ICMP "fragmentation needed but DF set"
being blocked by the firewall?  It would only show up when the server
has enough to send to fill a packet.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.