Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:12:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dinesh@alphaque.com
Subject:   PicoBSD now runs in 4MB!

Hi,

I'm almost finished with preparing the new release of PicoBSD, and I'll
let you know when it's available for download... this is only to let you
know what are some exciting new features :-)

I prepared new type of PicoBSD floppy, namely a "router" - it contains
only bare minimum needed to run the system, and modify it's networking
parameters. It uses custom init(8), custom netstat, and even doesn't have
a shell - only command-line interface. Thus far, you can't log-in to it
over the network, but it's a matter of writing some 200 lines of code
(volunteers are most welcome :-))

During tests, using 486DX/4MB RAM (though it will also run on 386SX :-) I
was able to run that command-line interface on 3 vty's _and_ 2 pppd(8),
and I was able to run ps, netstat, ifconfig, ping, traceroute, vmstat,
mount etc... to modify its behaviour - in other words, it was working.
Right after going multi-user there was over 600kB of free memory, and when
I ran the next programs, it would decrease only by the amount of
non-shared pages.

Now, I'm working on adding a tiny webserver to it, and when I'm done with
it, I'll roll the release. Stay tuned!

Andrzej Bialecki