Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 11:33:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      jbryant@server.iadfw.net
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi sd.c

In reply:
> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 01:59:42 +1000
> From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> To: bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM
> Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/scsi sd.c
>
> >>What's wrong with verbose output?  I like it except when it scrolls too
> >>fast to read or fills up the message buffer.  The right way to fix this
>
> >   It obscures important information, and important information scrolls off
> >the screen before it can be seen; relying on the message buffer to contain
> >it all doesn't help if your disk controller isn't attached correctly or the
> >new user doesn't know about 'dmesg'. I'd prefer a much more quiet startup than
> >what we even had previously.
>
> The syscons scrollback buffer could be enlarged too.  There's normally
> lots of free memory available at boot time so it wouldn't hurt to
> allocate huge message and scrolllback buffers if you reduce them later.

Well, here is a decent tradeoff... [/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/syscons.c]

#define HISTORY_SIZE 60 * 80 * 5
                          ^^------- or 132

Granted, those with 4 megs may want to use a lower number depending on
the number of vty's...  I'm running with 20 megs, so this is no big deal
for me, I could go larger, but I personally feel that any major
scrollback function belongs in the shell anyhow.

Also, has the problem with the screen trashing when you come out of the
scrollback sometimes been fixed?  I think I mentioned this in -hackers
some time back...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or