Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:23:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        roam@ringlet.net
Subject:   Re: local changes to CVS tree

In article <20010905142800.C633@ringworld.oblivion.bg>,
Peter Pentchev  <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:

> Also, I'm not really sure if CVS would allow having two vendor branches
> (say, RELENG_4 and RELENG_5) and two corresponding working branches
> (your changes to RELENG_4 and your changes to RELENG_5, which might be
>  *way* different).

CVS claims to support multiple vendor branches, but in practice it
doesn't work in any useful sense.  There's at least one place in the
CVS sources where "the" vendor branch is hard-coded as 1.1.1.  You
really don't want to use multiple vendor branches -- trust me. :-)
Use two repositories instead, or use perforce.

John