Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:39:56 +0300
From:      Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@sun-fish.com>
To:        Martin Turgeon <turgeon.martin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i386 with PAE or AMD64 on PowerEdge with 4G RAM

Hi,

Martin Turgeon wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I just receive 2 PowerEdge servers (a 1950 and a 860) both with 4G of
> RAM. I installed FreeBSD 6.2 Release i386 on both of them.
> Unfortunately, only 3,5G is recognized on the 860 and 3,3G on the 1950.
> dmesg on 860:
> real memory  = 3757834240 (3583 MB)
> avail memory = 3678318592 (3507 MB)
>
> I am facing a difficult decision. Should I use i386 with PAE enabled
> in the kernel (I read a lot of warnings using it) or should I go with
> AMD64? Which branch should I follow?
>
> These servers will be front-end/back-end MySQL(with replication) and
> Apache servers with BIND, Postfix, Dovecot, PF.
I have NO problems with FreeBSD AMD64, at least not more then I have
with i386 versions.

I do not see a problem to run MySQL, apache, BIND,Postfix and PF - as I
use them myself for near 2 years under freebsd amd64.

I even can say that at some point amd64 becomes more stable (for me)
then i386.
The major problem (again for me) is that there is no way to connect
64bit apache under freebsd to Oracle DB.

Saying that I'm quite happy using FreBSD amd64 (even for desktop/laptop
machines) and knowing how broken is PAE .. just go for amd64.

> There is the detailled configuration of the servers:
> PowerEdge 1950
> Xeon 5110
> 4G RAM
> PERC 5 Raid controller (mfi)
> Dual Broadcom 5708 (bce)
>
> PowerEdge 860
> Xeon 3070
> 4G RAM
> LSI Logic Raid controller (mpt)
> Dual Broadcom 5750 (bge)
If you still consider PAE check very carefully that all your drivers
work OK with PAE kernel!