Date:      23 Sep 2001 19:17:15 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.3 & 4.4 crash when downloading files.

I've been trying to set up my old 5 GB Maxtor on an old 486 to
do daily backups (I go to tape much less frequently) but keep
crashing FreeBSD.

I've tried a few combinations of a 486/66 EISA system (1991), a 486/120 PCI
system (1994), FreeBSD 4.3 STABLE and 4.4 RELEASE, with the OS fully on a
Maxtor 90576D4 (5.3 GB) or Maxtor 7540AV (514 MB).  Also different NICs
which used different drivers.

The OS keeps crashing hard during file download from my main computer,
whether I use FTP client or NFS (I forget whether it was client or server).

How should I approach solving this problem?  Do I have to learn how to
run a kernel debugger?  Do I have to turn on verbose logging somehow?
Is my reporting of what's output to the screen at crash time going to
be worth the effort until I find someone interested in the problem?
Any way to get it to go to a file too?  Should I be trying this message
on -hackers or -stable or -??? instead of -questions?

Thanks.