Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:01:25 +0100
From:      Jan Pechanec <pechy@hp735.cvut.cz>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        lists@gal.netlab.sk, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need non-case sensitive fs

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

>On 1999-01-18 08:41:25 +0100, Tomas TPS Ulej wrote:
>> We are ISP running FreeBSD as ftp & email server. Now we want move most of
>> our webs to apache + fp from our WIN NT4 Server. Problem is that our
>> customers have their pages deisgned for WINDOWS Platform. I need something
>> like non case sensitive filesystem .  I need implementation for ufs ') which
>> will work as this scheme...
>>
>> Funcion Read "DeMOFile.jpg"  reads "DEMOFILE.jpg". So implementation like
>> DOS/WINDOWS OS have. Upcase equal Downcase. Any ideas?
>
>[shudder:] put the customers files on a MSDOS filesystem ...
>
>See newfs_msdos(8), mount_msdos(8) how to do this on FreeBSD.

	It should'n work. You can access names in the form that is
printed with 'ls' only, I think.

	To solve the problem, I think the best solution would be to
use stackable layering. This is a problem that somebody could already
solved (search for heidemann and UCLA), if not and you have somebody
that can program in C, let him add some code to the null layer
template (see mount_null). One hundred lines of code, I estimate.

	Jan Pechanec.
      Jan PECHANEC, Computing center, Czech Technical University