Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:29:08 -0600
From:      Andrew Falanga <af300wsm@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SATA, RAID and AHCI

Hi,

As I mentioned in response to a thread started by someone wanting drivers for
a Realtek 8111c NIC, I'm building a server for our church.  We purchased an
ASUS motherboard, M3A78 PRO (in case it matters or anyone cares).  Everyone
is already aware of FreeBSD's lack of driver support for the RTL8111c NIC
which, unfortunately, is embedded on this MOBO.

This question is about the storage settings for this board (ASUS' name for it
is "Storage Configuration").  In the CMOS (or whatever it's called these
days, just out of curiousity, will FreeBSD support things like OpenBoot or
UEFI on i386, sorry for the digression), I found where to turn the "Storage
Configuration," as ASUS calls it, from "IDE," to "RAID," or "AHCI."  It's
currently set to "IDE" because when set to RAID the MOBO apparently kept
trying to put the SATA DVD drive as part of the RAID and when set to AHCI
mode the install had hundreds of, "can't create symlink, no inodes free,"
during the copying of the files into the newly created file systems.

Now, I'm a complete neophyte to making these SATA RAID systems.  What's the
magic to making it work, and how do you keep the DVD drive from being part of
the RAID?  Also, what should be done for AHCI mode?  It looked as though in
this mode the drives would perform *much* faster.

Thanks,
Andy