Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 03:20:34 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which branch?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> 	This happens every version update cycle. During the 2.2.x -> 3.0 update
> many of us asked for a new "description" of the "post new branch
> pseudo-release" branch. Something like -DEVEL, which conveys that it's
> not -CURRENT anymore, but not quite -STABLE either. It seems that
> suggestion was ignored. :)

Right idea, but the wrong order. We should have 5-DEVEL and leave 4-CURRENT.
Or, if there is opposition to using -current both before and after the release,
how about 4-RECENT or 4-LATEST? However, I personally prefer simply "4" with no
add on. The "current" could still be used for the mailing list.

From previous correspondence, I thought that Jordan was going to do something
along these lines. But, as usual, it never happens when it should. Then it is
"too late".

Speaking of mailing lists, we REALLY need an additional list. It is unfair, and
confusing, to have no solidly distinct lists for the 3.x, 4.x and 5.x branches.

I would propose that we create a new list for either 4 or 5 and automatically
subscribe all "-current" subscribers to both lists. They can then "opt out"
(unsubscribe) if they are not interested in both lists.